Date   

Update: Comparison Group working group participation form

Carmen Best
 

Dear GRID members, 

I wanted to let you know that a group is forming to tackle one of the specific issues that we had on our radar - comparison groups. Some participants in GRID and some from beyond, are initiating an effort to dig in on comparison groups given the needs emerging from COVID to understand the relative impacts of programs on the grid. In the end, they expect to submit a set of methods to the GRID steering committee, and ultimately to the governing board of EM2.


This approach is much like the technical detail that EVO and LBNL took on for working on technical issues around non-routine adjustments. When concrete approaches are ready (I've heard they are close!) the GRID working group would be a place to review do additional testing and adopt specifics (i.e. detailed documentation in line with CalTRACK) for use cases that matter to EM2 members.  

  

As you recall, we left our regular meetings of the GRID working group with the realization that our group is best positioned to review proposals to bring in standardized approaches (with the detailed documentation), rather than use the group to devise approaches from scratch. We'd unveiled several reasons in our discussions at the end of 2019 and decided to re-convene when approaches were ready to review.  


So using a similar tack on the comparison group front, beginning in two weeks, McGee Young and other members of the group will host a twice-monthly open call, where they will describe the testing that they are doing in support of methods to define non-participant comparison groups. In real time they will be developing a set of replicable, transparent methods for quantifying exogenous factors that lie outside of forecasted consumption trends. They plan to spend approximately 4-6 months doing this work. In the end, they expect to submit a set of methods to the GRID steering committee, and ultimately to the governing board of EM2.


With scheduling always a challenge, they have pre-selected Friday, May 22nd, from 11:30-12:30 PT as the kickoff event for this working group. Subsequent meetings will be held at the same time on alternating weeks going forward. If you would like to be added to the calendar invitation for the kickoff and subsequent meetings, please fill out the following form: https://forms.gle/f6iDv9XouNzM5B4F8

I am happy to answer any questions you may have - on this - or if you have other thoughts about next steps on GRID.  

Best wishes, 
Carmen

GRID Chair (acting)


GRID - WG - November 13 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 
Just a reminder of the working group meeting on Wednesday 11/13/2019 at 10:00 Pacific.  
 
The agenda is very short - we will check in on the contributions to the Normal Year approach in the GDoc (none as of yesterday). We will also discuss the next steps for the remainder of the year given the multiple dependencies for potential work products.

You can see the slides and the video of last months meeting on the GRID GitHub wiki: https://github.com/energy-market-methods/GRID/wiki

If you have issues you'd like to discuss tomorrow - please let me know.

Best wishes, 
Carmen
 
Call in Information: 
Monthly GRID Working Group Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/533475013 One tap mobile +16699006833,,533475013# US (San Jose) +16465588656,,533475013# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) Meeting ID: 533 475 013 
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ad72U1BT9v 


GRID - WG - DRAFT Agenda 10/9 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Good Morning Grid Working Group participants, 

Our October check-in is slated for Wednesday, and I am fleshing out the agenda.  

I'd like to focus on the Normal Year remaining issues and follow up from action items on NRE discussion last month (several follow up materials were posted on the NRE/NRA Issue thread).   

Please let me know if you would like to make time for discussion of any other issues.    

The notes, slides, and video from September's meeting are posted on the GRID Wiki:
 https://github.com/energy-market-methods/GRID/wiki/September-11,-2019-Meeting-Summary

A reminder of the specs for the meeting Wednesday at 10:00 Pacific:
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/533475013 One tap mobile +16699006833,,533475013# US (San Jose) +16465588656,,533475013# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) Meeting ID: 533 475 013 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ad72U1BT9v

Best wishes, 
Carmen

Carmen Best
GRID Working Group Chair
ph. 608.332.7992
carmen@...


Re: GRID - WG - Agenda 8/14 Meeting

AL LUTZ
 

Same skype numbers for this month/

 

Not sure why this does not show up in my calendar.

 

From: em2-grid@... <em2-grid@...> On Behalf Of Carmen Best
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 5:52 PM
To: em2-grid@...
Subject: [em2-grid] GRID - WG - Agenda 8/14 Meeting

 

Hi Everyone - 
We're slated to get together on Wednesday at 10AM Pacific.  

Github has been pretty quiet since our last meeting, I'll attribute it to summer vacation! 

We'll take up a nagging question on making meter-based efficiency fit into the typical reporting needs framework, specifically "Normal Weather Year" adjustments. 
This fits into Issue #3 topic of reporting parameters that enable meter-based savings to be counted as a grid resource.  

Here are the parameters for the meeting on Wednesday: 
Monthly GRID Working Group
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/533475013 One tap mobile +16699006833,,533475013# US (San Jose) +16465588656,,533475013# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) Meeting ID: 533 475 013 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ad72U1BT9v


GRID - WG - Agenda 9/11 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Good Morning - 

Just a reminder that we have our GRID working group call tomorrow at 10:00 Pacific.  

I will not be able to attend, but Ethan has graciously volunteered to facilitate.  Most of the content will be coming from James Russel and Lia Webster - as they will be talking through current status on NRE research and timelines. 

Reminder of the wiki page where we put the notes and recordings from each meeting: https://github.com/energy-market-methods/GRID/wiki

Here is a link to the slides - but there may be additional updates coming: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wlqG605p4KBK4K-l6vKJf3U2izu60xuB7SMgMF4ujuY/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you - 
Carmen


 


Notification Settings on GitHub - to ensure you know when something happens on the page...

Carmen Best
 

Per a question on the call today - here a couple of ways to make sure your notifications in GitHub are set to your liking...

First, make sure you have "Watching" turned on for GRID.  Below is a screen shot - note the eye that says "Unwatch" next to it - just click on that to "watch" or "unwatch".  

  You can also go into the settings by hovering over your log in icon [the little badger you see in my screen shot below].  You may need to log in to get to this part. 
Email and Notification settings can be found there.  There are several configurations you can choose that are pretty self explanatory - but make sure your preferred email is provided.  



I hope this is helpful - and if you still have questions - let me know.  I can help you walk through it.  

Best wishes, 
Carmen


Re: GRID - WG - 8/14 Meeting Summary

Carmen Best
 

Thanks to everyone for their contributions today.  

Our Homework boiled down to the following: 
  • Next Steps on Normal Year -
    • McGee Young will start a GDoc to lay out the basic steps pointing toward a specific method; and the specific use cases (how they tie to other issues that are in scope for GRID) 
  • The topic for next month - (9/11 meeting date) 
    • Lia Webster and James Russel will be on point for an NRE discussion next week to provide an overview of where the EVO/LBNL projects are in NRE, and current adaptations that are at play right now. 
  • CONTINUING: For existing issues, review and add literature with context/description on Github
  • CONTINUING: Consider how other issues can be decomposed to discrete tasks propose in Github
Recording from 8/14/2019 meeting
Slides from 8/14/2019 Meeting

Attendees: 
Eliot Crowe - LBNL
Craig Sinnamon - Power Takeoff
Ethan Goldman - Recurve
Caroline Massad Francis (PG&E)
Tonghui Li - Franklin
Devan Johnson - kW Engineering 
Zyg Kunczynski
Hassan Shaban - Recurve
James Russell - ClearResult
Andrew Royal - ResIntel
Al Lutz - SCG / Independent
Natalie Kozlowski - Recurve
Sabarish Vinod - Lincus
Anna Kelly - Power Takeoff
Mark Wyman - Energy Trust of Oregon
Kyle Monsees - NYSERDA
Lia Webster via phone - Facility Energy Solutions / EVO
Carmen Best - Recurve

A reminder that you can get the info from this and all the past meetings on the GitHub Wiki - https://github.com/energy-market-methods/GRID/wiki
You need to log into GitHub to see them - but that's where I put the recording, notes, and slides.

Carmen


Re: GRID - WG - Agenda 8/14 Meeting

Lia Webster
 

Hi Carmen-
Is there a recording and/or notes from the last meeting?

Thank you,
Lia

Lia Webster, PE, CCP

720.470.9297

Facility Energy Solutions






From: em2-grid@... <em2-grid@...> on behalf of Carmen Best via Lists.Lfenergy.Org <carmen=openee.io@...>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 5:51 PM
To: em2-grid@... <em2-grid@...>
Subject: [em2-grid] GRID - WG - Agenda 8/14 Meeting
 
Hi Everyone - 
We're slated to get together on Wednesday at 10AM Pacific.  

Github has been pretty quiet since our last meeting, I'll attribute it to summer vacation! 

We'll take up a nagging question on making meter-based efficiency fit into the typical reporting needs framework, specifically "Normal Weather Year" adjustments. 
This fits into Issue #3 topic of reporting parameters that enable meter-based savings to be counted as a grid resource.  

Here are the parameters for the meeting on Wednesday: 
Monthly GRID Working Group
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/533475013 One tap mobile +16699006833,,533475013# US (San Jose) +16465588656,,533475013# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) Meeting ID: 533 475 013 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ad72U1BT9v


GRID - WG - Agenda 8/14 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 
We're slated to get together on Wednesday at 10AM Pacific.  

Github has been pretty quiet since our last meeting, I'll attribute it to summer vacation! 

We'll take up a nagging question on making meter-based efficiency fit into the typical reporting needs framework, specifically "Normal Weather Year" adjustments. 
This fits into Issue #3 topic of reporting parameters that enable meter-based savings to be counted as a grid resource.  

Here are the parameters for the meeting on Wednesday: 
Monthly GRID Working Group
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/533475013 One tap mobile +16699006833,,533475013# US (San Jose) +16465588656,,533475013# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) Meeting ID: 533 475 013 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ad72U1BT9v


GRID - WG - Follow Up 7/10 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Hi GRID Enthusiasts!

Just a note to let you know that I posted the slide deck, the video and (new value add from Natalie!) actual NOTES from the call! 

You can find it on our GRID - GitHub wiki page

I am also sleuthing around for the M&V plans that we talked about on the call and plan to post them on the relevant Git Hub issues.  If you have MORE materials as part of this literature review phase, please add more, comment on the existing plans.  Our goal is to start pulling the component parts out to develop more discrete testing - for what are right now very broad categories of inquiry.

Happy to discuss anytime - especially in GRID GitHub Issues

Carmen 


GRID - WG Draft Agenda for 7-10-2019 Mtg

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 

Thank you or putting forward four awesome and daunting issues on GRID GitHub.

I have been waffling on setting up voting on priorities like we did in CalTRACK, because a.) these issues were intended to help define scope; b.) each one could probably provide enough material for a PhD thesis!  CalTRACK has a different maturity that means they are dealing with pretty discrete issues at this time.


I think it’s worth our while to take the time to develop a common understanding of our use case for GRID to put these issues on a testing trajectory that will be manageable and meaningful. Elliot's issue hones in on this point, and each of the other issues called out some line of "whatever we mean by net grid impacts and claimable savings"; suggesting we need a little more work in that area.  


Therefore, I propose our agenda for Wednesdays meeting focus on hearing from some of the members that are dealing with "net grid impacts and claimable savings" directly. I am waiting to hear back from a few of the meter/based P4P program administrators in the group to share: 

  • What does net grid impacts and claimable savings mean in their program/pilot? (or is it even relevant?) 

  • Why is it important (and to whom is it important)? (or why is it NOT important?) 

  • How are they isolating the differences from CalTRACK outputs? (i.e. how are they linked?)

  • What are approaches or requirements have emerged that are addressing some of the key issues we've identified? (e.g. persistence factor treated with weighted measure EUL; deemed net to gross ratio, remove participants with NRE instead of adjusting, etc.) 

I think this will give us all a better sense of where we're starting - our baseline in a sense.  Then we can focus on specific topics for literature review establishing more background as our homework and start breaking these issues down in relation to how they’re being treated now. Taking a lesson from the CalTRACK experience, we were most productive when we can focus on a specific problem, issue, and had a time/place where it was expected to be put into practice - hoping to do the same here.


Open to modifications for this agenda, let me know if you have changes.  


Carmen

Carmen Best

ph. 608.332.7992
carmen@...
GRID Working Group Chair


Meeting Specs (remember we're using registration function to allow us to skip through the roll call more quickly):
You are invited to a Zoom meeting. When: Jul 10, 2019 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada) Register in advance for this meeting: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/7e26c7e85798b50366858a512be5123a After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.


Re: GRID - WG - Follow Up 6/12 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 
Thanks for working through the slides yesterday, and apologies for confusion on the timeline slide in particular - I meant for it to recap where we left it last month and re-callibrate (which in essence you all did) but sorry that wasn't clear from the get go. 

The conversation seems to be evolving a bit, but of course the scope issues are still the focal point.  I added some suggestions based on the meeting discussion to help focus both comments on the scope issues and framing any new scope issues that folks may be working on (see three points in the summary below). 

I'll be reaching out to many of you - now that I have my life back.  Thanks for your patience with me during this big disruption, and I look forward to digging in more deeply. 

Best wishes, 
Carmen

~~~~ Meeting Summary on Git Hub~~~~~
The GRID working group met via ZOOM on Wednesday, June 12. Members in attendance are listed below. Ethan Goldman hosted the meeting at the request of Carmen Best (Chair) who was still on jury duty.

June 12, 2019 Recording

June 12, 2019 Slide Deck

Highlights of the meeting:

  • Scope was the primary point of discussion
  • Members should continue to post issues dedicated to setting the scope of the group; and comment on others' suggestions for scope issues. Please post all issues by June 19th and continue the discussions on git hub (voting on priorities may or may not be necessary depending on how many issues emerge).
  • If an issue may overlap with CalTRACK issues, note it in the description of the issue.
  • In sharing (or commenting on) a scope issue, please include perspectives on: 1.) Why is the issue important?(i.e. is there a technical gap or a transition needed for meter-based savings) 2.) How does it fit with the purpose of the GRID group of supporting technical issues around savings and the grid planning intersect and 3.) What is the end in mind for the issue? (i.e. what is the practical real world application for a resolution and where will it be used.)


Re: GRID - WG - DRAFT Agenda for 6/12 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 
Very sorry to say that I am still in jury duty - but the end is very near - so Ethan Goldman will be hosting the meeting tomorrow. 

I didn't get any updates to the agenda from last week, so please take a look at the issues pending (see email string below) and we should have time to discuss them with a fair level of detail.  

I also set up the registration function in Zoom so we will have a record of who is attending without having to go through a long list of names; just asking for intros still to keep building familiarity with the group.

Best wishes, 
Carmen

GRID WG Chair


GRID - WG - DRAFT Agenda for 6/12 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 
Our next working group meeting is around the corner.  I am still on jury duty, but am hoping that I will be done by Wednesday I am looking for a back up if I am not released by the courts by then. 

We have two issues posted for consideration and discussion on Wednesday: 
- Difference in Differences, Comparison Groups (Al Lutz) 
- Savings persistence in Scope (McGee Young)

We can dedicate most of our agenda to discussing these two topics; but also please post your reactions and thoughts to them on github. 

There is still room for people to propose other topics to help shape the scope please post them on the issues page.  

Best wishes, 
Carmen

Carmen Best
GRID Working Group Chair

Specs for the meeting 6/12:  [Shared EM2 Calendar]
 
Topic: Monthly GRID Working Group
Time: Jun 12, 2019 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
       
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/533475013
 
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,533475013# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,533475013# US (New York)
 
Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 533 475 013
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acg3bcqaIy
 


Re: GRID - May 8 Working Group Meeting Follow up

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 
We have two issues posted on GitHub so far; one of which migrated over from CalTRACK. 

If you have more issues to post or comments to make on the ones here, please take a moment to post them on GitHub.

We meet again on June 12th; at 10 AM Pacific.

Apologies if I haven't been reaching out to drum up more conversations one on one - but still on jury duty (this is week 6 - but the end is in sight) 

Best wishes, 
Carmen


GRID - May 8 Working Group Meeting Follow up

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 
I enjoyed listening to the meeting last week - and special thanks for taking on the 5 word challenge! 

The scope of this project is clearly the first think to tackle and the issues that are submitted will frame those priorities, so thank to those that have already submitted issues.  A couple notes on submitting issues: 
  • If there are specific deadlines or decisions at your organization (or jurisdiction) that may be driving those issues, please also include those in the documentation so we can consider it in prioritization. 
  • If you have ideas, but want to flesh them out in more detail before posting, I encourage you to call a peer from the group (or maybe two) to talk through framing the issue most effectively for the group. The more work we put in between meetings the more progress we'll be able to make when we all gather.  
Below my signature line are the links to the materials which I will post on the GRID Github Wiki after each meeting; but sending them along as well (belt and suspenders); I also added an image of the "traffic" on github which shows me that folks are getting in there and getting signed up - thanks!

Best wishes to all, 

Carmen
GRID WG Chair

May 8, 2019 GRID Working Group Mtg
 

Power Point Presentation May 8, 2019 LINK

Meeting Recording May 8, 2019 LINK

Homework:

  • Sign up for GRID on GitHub
  • Add the relevant meetings to your calendar Shared Google Calendar
  • Comment on Scope issue in GitHub
  • Start developing issues that would likely fall within scope. Be specific with your proposals.

Timeline:

  • “Scope” issue discussed on Github over next 4 weeks
  • Voting on “Scope” issue at next meeting (6/12); subsequent issues opened for discussion.
  • Select priority issues the following meeting (7/10)
  • Do any members have driving factors that affect timing for issues? (please include in your issue postings)

Green: Views; Blue: Unique Visitors


GRID - WG - DRAFT Agenda for 5/8 Meeting

Carmen Best
 

Hi Everyone - 
Just a reminder that I will still be on jury duty for our meeting on May 8th; but Ethan Goldman has volunteered to facilitate on my behalf. 

I pulled an agenda together that mirrors the last CalTRACK working group meeting so we can ensure everyone is clear on how to submit draft issues; and hopefully we will have some time to discuss some preliminary issues that are on people's minds. 

Also note that I have added the past slide decks and the recordings for the last two meetings on our GRID Github Wiki page

Draft Agenda: (let me know if you have additions)
  • Overview of agenda

    • Additions / Corrections

  • Member Roll Call

    • Name, Org, Challenge: Why are you participating in GRID (in five words or less!)

  • Sign-ups review

    • Listserv (complete!)

    • GRID - Github (4 viewers on GRID git hub repo - not much there may explain why, any other issues?)

  • Discuss timeline

    • Issues submitted within 3 weeks

    • Prioritization (voting if necessary) start at next meeting (6/12)

    • Set up sprints the following meeting (6/26)

  • Review Issue/Pre-Draft submission process (Video)

    • Review Issue format

    • Necessary completeness criteria

  • Open up for members to discuss any burning issues

Homework: Submit issues for consideration by the Working Group

Best wishes,

Carmen


Re: Congratulations to our new Grid Working Group Chair, Carmen Best

Carmen Best
 

Thank you Bruce and everyone!  I look forward to working with you all in this capacity.

Our next GRID working group meeting is set for May 8, and I will likely still be in trial serving as a juror.  

I will have a back up to facilitate in my absence - but that should only have to happen this one time.  I will still prepare the agenda and fulfill the other duties.  

If you have agenda topics on your mind please feel free to send them my way.

Carmen


On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 5:47 PM Bruce Mast <bruce@...> wrote:
Good evening everyone,
The GRID working group chair election doesn't officially close until tomorrow night but I have now received 18 out of 19 possible votes and the results are clear: Carmen Best is the near consensus choice to serve as chair. Carmen received 15 1st place votes; whereas the other two candidates received a combined total of 3. So I think that settles it. Congratulations Carmen and thank you for taking on this important role.

Best regards,

Bruce Mast
Principal, Ardenna Energy, LLC
510-435-1371

--
Carmen Best
Director of Policy & Emerging Markets
ph. 608.332.7992


Congratulations to our new Grid Working Group Chair, Carmen Best

Bruce Mast
 

Good evening everyone,
The GRID working group chair election doesn't officially close until tomorrow night but I have now received 18 out of 19 possible votes and the results are clear: Carmen Best is the near consensus choice to serve as chair. Carmen received 15 1st place votes; whereas the other two candidates received a combined total of 3. So I think that settles it. Congratulations Carmen and thank you for taking on this important role.

Best regards,

Bruce Mast
Principal, Ardenna Energy, LLC
510-435-1371


test message

Bruce Mast
 

Hello GRID working group members,
We're launching the new GRID working group listserv to better manage communications and facilitate peer to peer interactions.

Watch this space for more action.

Best regards,

Bruce Mast
Principal, Ardenna Energy, LLC
510-435-1371

1 - 20 of 20