Date

CoMPAS webpage

Lucian Balea

Hi!

One more good news: the CoMPAS webpage is live on LF Energy’s website.

Lucian

"Ce message est destiné exclusivement aux personnes ou entités auxquelles il est adressé et peut contenir des informations privilégiées ou confidentielles. Si vous avez reçu ce document par erreur, merci de nous l'indiquer par retour, de ne pas le transmettre et de procéder à sa destruction.

This message is solely intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you have received this communication by error, please notify us immediately by electronic mail, do not disclose it and delete the original message."

Alliander is joining the CoMPAS project

Sander

Hi CoMPAS project-members,

I’m happy to announce that we secured budget approval for joining the CoMPAS development. We want to hire a full-time developer to work on this project.

I can (part-time) cover the data architecture side of the project.

Kind regards,

Sander Jansen

Data Architect |  Alliander IT Data & Insight

E    sander.jansen@...

Alliander N.V.  .  Postbus 50, 6920 AB Duiven, Nederland  .  Locationcode: 2PB2100
  .  Utrechtseweg 68, 6812 AH Arnhem  .  KvK 09104351 Arnhem  .  www.alliander.com

The content of this e-mail, including any attachments, is personal and confidential. If this message is not intended for you, please inform the sender by return and destroy the message. Please do not use or copy the content of this e-mail, including any attachments, or send it to third parties.

Files from the LF Energy workshop on July 8

frederic.fousseret@...

Hello everyone,

I uploaded the files (in the current state) from the last LF Energy technical architecture workshop to the mailing list platform and to the workspace we also created on SLACK.
The main advantage of using SLACK for technical exchanges is the possible connection with Github.
At this point in the project, there are many possible communication channels available to us (LF List, Slack, Github, ...)
Github is legitimate for the code, for our "technical" exchanges nothing is currently completely fixed. So if you have any preferences, recommendations, don't hesitate to let us know.
In any case, do not hesitate to read and / or modify, comment on the first files uploaded or to subscribe to slack: compaslfenergy.slack.com:

Best regards,

Frederic

Kickoff meeting CoMPAS project

Rob Tjalma

Hi all,

We would like to kickoff the CoMPAS project, and we would like to have a meeting to discuss some points!

We were discussing about the right way to plan this meeting, so we’re organizing a doodle!

Please fill in your potential attendance, and we’re trying to setup a meeting!

Some points we would like to discuss:

  • How do we organize ourselves? Using Agile/Scru,?
  • How do we keep in contact? Daily scrum? Refinements? Retrospectives?
  • How do we handle requirements? (Where to keep them, where to handle them)
  • Technical question (databases, programming language(s))
  • Build street? CI/CD?
  • Common IDE?
  • What code standards are we using?
  • How do we handle code reviews?
  • How do we test? What tests are we doing?

Feel free to add input!

The doodle can be found here:

https://doodle.com/poll/bzdhrt2iuutv3fp2

Kind regards,

Rob

Re: Kickoff meeting CoMPAS project

Rob Tjalma

Allright, something went wrong with the doodle. My bad!

Here is the doodle (yes, really):

https://doodle.com/poll/fsstumqzir5qzhwp

Kind regards,

Rob

[...]

Kickoff CoMPAS

Rob Tjalma

Hi all,

The 26th of August is the date for kicking off the CoMPAS project.

I gathered some topics:

- Introducing each other

- How to handle requirements (where to keep them, where to discuss them)

- Which databases?

- Which programming language(s)?

- What research do we need in this area?

- Build street? CI/CD?

- Common IDE?

- Code standards?

- Code Reviews

- How do we test?

- Versioning?

- How do we organize ourselves? Agile?

- How do we keep contact? Daily standup?

- Refinements together? Retrospectives together?

Re: Kickoff CoMPAS

Martin Flower

Hi Rob.

Thank you for the invitation to this kickoff meeting. I won't be able to attend, but I thought I would state my interest.

I am a programmer who is interested in contributing to the energy transition. My background is in commercial backend systems for powering websites - banking, ecommerce, and most recently industrial iot. I have read through the materials for CoMPAS, and have understood very little - the key words seem to be substation, IEC61850, xml. Nevertheless, maybe there is an opportunity for me to make a small contribution once work has started. If so, it would be ideal if I could continue to use a similar stack as at my day job : primarily go/aws/docker together with some react/typescript.

I look forward to seeing how the project progresses.

Best wishes

/Martin Flower

21 aug. 2020 kl. 14:44 skrev Rob Tjalma <rob.tjalma@...>:

Hi all,

The 26th of August is the date for kicking off the CoMPAS project.

I gathered some topics:

- Introducing each other
- How to handle requirements (where to keep them, where to discuss them)
- Which databases?
- Which programming language(s)?
- What research do we need in this area?
- Build street? CI/CD?
- Common IDE?
- Code standards?
- Code Reviews
- How do we test?
- Versioning?

- How do we organize ourselves? Agile?
- How do we keep contact? Daily standup?
- Refinements together? Retrospectives together?

<Mejlbilaga.ics>

Kickoff meeting 26th of August notes

Rob Tjalma

Hi guys,

Here are the notes of our Kickoff meeting we had yesterday:

https://wiki.lfenergy.org/display/HOME/Meeting+26-8-2020

They’re on the LFEnergy Wiki, and I think everyone has access to it.

If you don’t have access, please let me know!

With kind regards,

Rob Tjalma

Definition of Done for CoMPAS project

Rob Tjalma

Hi guys,

I made an initial Definition of Done for requirements of the CoMPAS project.

Please take a minute to check it out, and please make some edits if possible!

Please check this Pull Request:

https://github.com/com-pas/contributing/pull/1

Kind regards,

Rob

News about IEC 62361-102 Edition 2

Tom BERRY

Hi everyone

I just joined the group

For those of you who don’t know me, I lead the task force that produced IEC 62361-102.

We plan to produce a new Edition 2 this year, so any comments and questions about Edition 1 are welcome.

IEC TS 62361-102 Edition 1 was published in 2018 and is based on input from IEC 61970-301 Ed 6 (CIM16) and IEC 61850-7-4 Ed 2.

Edition 2 will be updated with mappings for Distributed Energy Resources (DER) based on draft IEC 61850-7-420 Ed 2 and IEEE1547.

In addition, there are minor changes to be consistent with IEC 61970-301:2020 Ed 7 (CIM17), IEC 61850-7-4 Ed 2.1, plus add some Logical Nodes from IEC 61850-7-410 and other technical reports from the IEC 61850-90 series.

Tom Berry
Offer Architect
Digital Energy Division      Energy Management Business
Schneider Electric

Technopole +33 4 76 60 67 59
Mobile  +33 6 42 34 94 87
Email
tom.berry@...

Technopole 38TEC
28 rue Henri Tarze
38050

Grenoble
France

*Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

How many active developers do we have right now?

Rob Tjalma

Hi guys!

During the kickoff, we spoke about the number of developers we have participating in the CoMPAS project.

What is the status of committed CoMPAS developers we have, besides me? 😊

Kind regards,

Rob

Re: How many active developers do we have right now?

frederic.fousseret@...

Hi Rob

On the RTE side, Mohamed Sylla is committed to the project. However, we are behind on another project that should have ended earlier because of the current health situation. That’s why he could not participate at 100% on CoMPAS.

In addition, we are in the process of creating a broader development team that will participate in our internal project, of which compas is a significant part.

That’s why, we hope to be fully available as soon as possible.

I understand that this current situation is not optimum for you, but don’t hesitate to interact already with Mohamed.

Regards,

Frédéric

Re: How many active developers do we have right now?

Tom BERRY

What exactly is being developed at present?

The CoMPAS Initial Roadmap has lots of topics,

The first one on slide 7 is SSD to SCD which is a replication of existing commercial tools and could take several 10s of person-years.

Some of the other bullet points are simpler, e.g. standalone SCL verification tools to complement schema validation.

On this topic, I can give you an update:

A new work item proposal is being prepared for discussion in IEC TC57 WG10 that will propose using OCL Object Constraint Language for machine readable rules to be used for SCL validation.

It is expected that there will be one document with recommendations on how a software tool should apply rules written in OCL

plus a series of documents / machine readable code components that describe the rules for different types of SCL (ICD, CID, SSD, SCD etc)

and different stages of the engineering process.

Tom Berry
Offer Architect
Digital Energy Division      Energy Management Business
Schneider Electric

Technopole +33 4 76 60 67 59
Mobile  +33 6 42 34 94 87
Email
tom.berry@...

Technopole 38TEC
28 rue Henri Tarze
38050

Grenoble
France

*Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

[External email: Use caution with links and attachments]

Hi Rob

On the RTE side, Mohamed Sylla is committed to the project. However, we are behind on another project that should have ended earlier because of the current health situation. That’s why he could not participate at 100% on CoMPAS.

In addition, we are in the process of creating a broader development team that will participate in our internal project, of which compas is a significant part.

That’s why, we hope to be fully available as soon as possible.

I understand that this current situation is not optimum for you, but don’t hesitate to interact already with Mohamed.

Regards,

Frédéric

Re: How many active developers do we have right now?

Sander

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the interest and the WG10 update. We currently looking for the best technology fits for the CoMPAS project. The (e.g. database) technology will be checked against the high level requirements: https://com-pas.github.io/compas-architecture/HIGH_LEVEL_REQUIREMENTS.html

After the CoMPAS community selects the right technology, basic functionality can be build including continues integration etc. RTE is looking into resusing the existing entso-e tool.

We could consider reusing RiseClipse which already supports OCL.

The first one on slide 7 is SSD to SCD which is a replication of existing commercial tools and could take several 10s of person-years.”

Do you know why this takes 10s of person years?

[...]

Re: News about IEC 62361-102 Edition 2

Sander

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the group! A part of the CoMPAS project will convert the CIM modelled substations into a single line diagram of 61850. This SLD can be the basis for apply custom scripts/templates to generate full SCD’s.

This is my current idea (up for debate):

Suggestions for the new edition:

Conversion of IEC CIM substations (e.g. CGMES EQ profile) to SCL SLD’s for automation purposes (it shows a paper process in 62361-102 figure 1).

Add globally unique functional identification to all LN’s (functional ID’s in IEC CIM are PowerSystemResource objects). It would be nice of de PSR id’s can match with relevant classes in IEC 61850.

It would be nice if signals from the IED’s can be related to the IEC CIM identification (where relevant).

Functional identification instead of the current asset identification in IEC 61850-7-3:2011;

It currently states: Master resource ID – unique identification of an asset or device;

If this is functional identification, the asset can be replaced with the same functional ID.

It would be nice if (IEC61850?) protection settings can be added to IEC CIM.

[...]

Re: SSD to SCD

Tom BERRY

Re: SSD to SCD

My rapid WBS based on IEC 61850-6 10.2 System configurator

  • The SSD describes the one-line diagram and the automation functions
    • Essential – make corrections = CRUD operations on any item, or sets of items, preserving referential integrity
    • Nice to have :  visualize this on a diagram  = requires extensions for graphics plus pan/zoom/layering features

  • The SSD will describe the communications devices
    • Essential – import ICD, CID, IID files of various versions and compile composite DataTypeTemplates for the client(s)
    • Delete devices and all associated relationships
    • Edit IP addresses
    • Nice to have :  visualize this on a diagram  = requires pan/zoom/layering features

  • The SCD describes the binding (mapping) between the required LNs per equipment/function
    • Assign / unassign / reassign LNs from IEDs to equipment
    • Per IED, show/ edit data set definitions
    • Per IED, show / edit report control block definitions

  • Export functions
    • Export SCD in appropriate version for clients
    • Nice-to-have: export subset per IED in appropriate version (i.e. ICD + goose subscription information)
      • (IEC 61850-6 says this is an IED configurator function)

IEC 61850-6 Table G.2 – System configurator conformance statement  has three pages of function headings some of which are complex

And of course it is simpler if the SCT only needs to support one version of IEC 61850.

[...]

Open Community Call every monday!

Rob Tjalma

Hi all,

This morning, I was talking with Mohamed about a weekly Community Call for CoMPAS.

So, I want to take this opportunity to initiate an open Community Call every Monday, starting next week.

This way, we can keep the community involved to ask questions and hear us out.

We can tell what we did last week and what we’re going to do next week and so on.

I added the explanation in a Pull Request (needs to be merged): https://github.com/com-pas/compas-architecture/pull/36

I propose to have the meeting between 14:30 – 15:00 UTC, so people from Canada for example can also join.

I also made a #community-calls channel in the LF Energy Slack, this will be the place for the notes of previous meetings.

People can also get invitations for the meeting in this channel, I have to think about the technology to use (Zoom, Skype maybe?)

Suggestions are welcome! 😊

I hope many of you will join!

With kind regards,

Rob Tjalma

Re: Open Community Call every monday!

frederic.fousseret@...

Hello Rob,

Great idea.
I suggest you fill this mailing list calendar with this community call.
For TSC meetings, I use Zoom because it's easy to schedule regular meetings.
Skype will be soon retired (july 2021)
I also suggest you use registration mecanism (from Zoom or from the mailing list).
Regards,

Frédéric

Open Community Call for CoMPAS next monday October 26th

Rob Tjalma

Hi all,

Next Monday, I would like to have a community call for CoMPAS.

I did sent a mail about it, but I didn’t get that much reactions.

The Community Call is meant for talking about stuff we did, stuff we have to do and other questions we can ask each other.

So who wants to join next Monday 14.30 UTC? 😊

We already have some Alliander colleagues that join, so don’t hesitate!

With kind regards,

Rob Tjalma

Re: Open Community Call for CoMPAS next monday October 26th

Goswamy, Naveen (NRCan/RNCan)

Hi Rob,

Thanks, I would be happy to join, however I think there’s an LFE Architecture meeting that starts at 15:00 UTC though.  Will this CoMPAS meeting be only 30 minutes long?

Cheers,

Naveen

Naveen Goswamy, P.Eng., M.A.Sc.

Science and Technology Advisor | Office of Energy Research and Development

Natural Resources Canada | Government of Canada

naveen.goswamy@... | Tel: +1-343-543-1179

Conseiller en science et technologie | Bureau de recherche et de développement énergétiques

Ressources naturelles Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

naveen.goswamy@... | Tél: +1-343-543-1179